June 27, 2022 • 0 comments
This is a family favorite Dominican chicken meal. Served with rice & bean, cabbage, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes and avocados this is a winner!
- (3-4) Medium Garlic Cloves
- (3/4 tsp) Salt
- (1/2) Medium Onion (finely chopped)
- (1/4 cup) Aji Pepper, or Green Pepper (finely chopped)
- (1 sprig) Cilantro (snipped)
- (1/4 cup) Apple cider vinegar
- (1 tsp.) Oregano
- (3 Tbsp) Oil
- (2 Tsp) Brown Sugar
- (1 Tbsp.) Tomato Paste
- (2 Cubes, or 2 tbsp) Sopita or Chicken-in-a-mug
- (1 (cut up)) Whole Pasture Raised Chicken
- Marinate chicken pieces for no less that 15 min. in garlic that has been smashed with the salt, onion, pepper, cilantro, vinegar and oregano.
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot to very hot.
- Add brown sugar. Let caramelize but not burn.
- Scrape marinade off chicken pieces and fry, browning all around.
- Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- If the heat is right this produces its own juice and cooks gently. If it gets dry, add up to 1 cup water.
- Add all the marinade, tomato paste and Sopita.
- Stir together with the half cooked chicken.
- Cover and continue cooking for another 30 minutes on low heat. Check and stir once or twice.
- The result should be a saucy, well-seasoned tender chicken.
- Serve for dinner with rice and beans.
- Serves 8-10 with a rice and beans meal.